Monday 4 June 2012

Day at Helman Tor

Had an epic day at Helman Tor in Cornwall today! Arrived around twelve, quick warm up and then into some of the decent problems here. The Cornish Granite is amazing! Its got so much friction, the downside of which is destroyed fingertips!! Had a go at an amazing V6 which consists of moving from a slab to a crimpy undercut on a huge roof, then dynoing out and  topping-out on slopers. Couldn't make the top out as it was covered in lichen!

After this I moved to the cave and got straight into some of the harder stuff. I did the second ascent of a lovely problem called 'British East Africa' which is a V7 in about 3 or 4 goes. The video of which is below.
     I then got to work on the hardest established boulder there which is the 'Cave Traverse', a solid V8. I could do all the moves, the only thing stopping me was that my fingertips were bleeding a lot and I couldn't hold the sharp crimps without ruining them further! A project to try next time perhaps.










Unfortunately I had to leave after a couple of hours and so couldn't do much there, but had a sick time in the process!

Thanks for reading

Harry Hazeldean

No comments:

Post a Comment